Robert W. Sweetin
Growing up all over the United States while his father served in the U.S. Navy taught Mr. Sweetin the value of making a connection with people from all backgrounds and all walks of life. Now as a civil litigator, he uses that experience to find common ground and solutions for his clients.
Sacramento has been home to Mr. Sweetin since 2003, when he began to put roots down after finishing college at UC Davis. He continued to grow into the community while working full-time and attending the evening legal studies program at Pacific McGeorge. Mr. Sweetin earned his J.D. from McGeorge in December 2013 and was licensed to practice law following the February 2014 California Bar Exam. He joined Matheny Sears Linkert & Jaime in August 2014 and became a partner in January 2020.
Practicing in the areas of civil litigation and employment law, Mr. Sweetin’s experience includes defending complex personal injury suits, Fair Employment and Housing Act matters, and wage and hour claims (including class actions) under state and federal laws.
Mr. Sweetin successfully guides and advises his clients through all circumstances that arise in the course of litigation. Learning to lawyer at one of the most venerable civil firms in Sacramento instilled in him the importance of preparing every case as if it will go to trial. He believes that in litigation, if you want peace, prepare for war. Additionally, his personal and family background give him particular depth in achieving favorable resolutions for clients in agribusiness.
- Represented a car rental agency at trial in defending against a clear liability $2.3 million injury claim. The jury verdict was favorable to the agency.
- Represented a trucking company at trial in defending against a clear liability $5.2 million injury claim. The jury verdict was very favorable to the trucking company and its carrier.
- Represented a construction company at trial in defending against a clear liability $3.4 million injury claim. The jury verdict was very favorable to the construction company and its carrier.
- Successfully moved for summary judgment on behalf of a state political party.
- Successfully moved to dismiss a defendant medical professional from a lawsuit, resulting in an award of attorney fees.
- Successfully moved for summary judgment on behalf of a defendant national bank.
- Negotiated numerous favorable settlements on behalf of clients.
- Advises employer clients on a wide range of employment and personnel decisions.
- Represented a ranch hand in an action for the recovery of unpaid wages against his former employer, resulting in a six-figure settlement.
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
- Anthony M. Kennedy American Inn of Court